Umthun Trucking Company was founded in 1963 in Eagle Grove, Iowa. From the original Steve Umthun and Sons founded in 1947 as primary operators Steve Umthun, Sr. and Joe Umthun (eldest son) the family size grew to add more trucks hauling different products.
The 'family' included immediate brothers and sisters and mother Verona: Jean, Virgil, Frank, Mark, Dorene, Bernadette, Mary and Donna as well as Jane. Other extended family members were Charlie Powell (married Mary) and managed the tractor shop, Art Hauer (married Dorene) who drove and later managed the trailer shop, Bill Bennett (married Jean and ran Fremont, Ne terminal), Frank married Mary and they ran the Muscatine terminal together.
Many other close friends were a part of the family like Adrian Helwig, the Kepper brothers Henry and Eddie and many others. Over the years many other local Eagle Grove families became part of the family business.
The hauling products now included feed and grains or fertilizers in hopper and pneumatic bottle tank type trailers to perishable items like eggs in 'cooler' trailers as well as flatbed materials of lumber, wallboard/gypsum board steel and you name it!
Wright and Webster counties of Iowa were the primary outbound areas servicing the surrounding states and longer hauls to New York City and Boston. By 1967 the company had grown to expand business contracts such that a national ruling by the Interstate Commerce Commission known as 'THE RULE OF EIGHT' established the Umthun Trucking was no longer a contract carrier but that by its size had become a 'common carrier' held out to the public convenience and necessity.
During the mid '70's Umthun Trucking had terminals in Fort Dodge, Iowa; Fremont, Nebraska; Mediapolis, Iowa; Hammond, Indiana and St Paul, Minnesota. Later in the '80's there would be Texas, Alabama abd Ohio terminals.
By the late 80's and 90's Umthun Trucking was a well established 500 truck fleet with the famous Red on White trucks.